Arabic Associate Editor
This is a part-time position with the nonprofit Global Investigative Journalism Network (GIJN). Applicants must have a solid understanding of investigative and data journalism, as well as experience and strong skills in managing social media.
GIJN is an association of 250 member organizations in 91 countries dedicated to spreading and advancing investigative journalism around the world. This position is aimed at strengthening and building networks and organizations of investigative journalists in the Arabic-speaking world. This position reports to GIJN’s Arabic Regional Editor.
GIJN is a distributed nonprofit, and this is a remote position. GIJN is staffed by an extraordinary multicultural team based in over 20 countries. You’ll work in a collaborative network that is having an impact every day on the front lines of journalism.
- Research, aggregate, and post in Arabic the best available content on tools, methods, data sets, opportunities, and innovative practices in investigative and data journalism for GIJN Arabic’s social media platforms;
- Create and execute engagement strategies and campaigns to improve and strengthen the GIJN Arabic community;
- Facilitate and moderate discussions among followers on social media;
- Help in producing and translating Arabic-language stories for GIJN’s website;
- Edit, manage, layout, and review content and translations in Arabic;
- Produce an Arabic newsletter;
- Provide social media items from the region to GIJN’s other editors;
- Answer requests for information or assistance;
- Help with mapping and building a rigorous database of investigative journalism entities across the region;
- Monitor social media traffic, and develop strategies for maintaining and expanding GIJN’s network across the Arabic-speaking world;
- Assist with various GIJN tasks such as conference preparation and training workshops
- Applicants should have at least five years of demonstrated work, either employed or freelance, for a newsroom or journalism-related organization;
- Understanding of investigative and data journalism;
- Excellent Arabic writing and editing skills with fluent command of English;
- Strong organizational skills and a detail-oriented personality;
- The ability to work remotely and comfortably in a global, virtual, highly diverse cross-cultural team;
- Self-motivated with good communication skills;
- Ability to multitask and meet multiple deadlines;
- Work experience in social media;
- Knowledge of WordPress, Mailchimp, Excel, and Canva is a plus;
Location: MENA region is preferred, but also open to candidates anywhere in the world who speak and write in Arabic. GIJN is a virtual nonprofit. You’ll need good, dependable broadband.
Fee: We’re a nonprofit but we pay a living wage. Salary will depend on your location and experience.
Deadline: March 4, 2024
Note: GIJN is a strong believer in diversity and welcomes applicants regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, or disability.